Bio: Jonathan fell in love with manufacturing in his grandad’s Leeds pickle factory at the age of 8 and has been involved in manufacturing and industrial processes all his life.
After completing a degree in Chemical Engineering, he decided that making Coca-Cola was the way forward and joined the drinks maker as a graduate trainee. A couple of quick promotions led him to a key role in the building and establishing of the largest soft drinks factory in Europe in Wakefield in the late 1980s, a flagship project for the company. After a stint as Shift Manager he decided to gain some industrial sales experience and worked in oil refineries across the UK, providing Nalco’s chemical treatment programs to some of the world’s largest companies. Then he went into chemical distribution, with Hays Chemicals, now Brenntag, where he organised the distribution of key chemical ranges to thousands of manufacturing companies across the UK.
Jonathan decided it was time to run a company and joined a Northamptonshire plastic moulding company, called Francis Ward in the mid-90s. As General Manager, Jonathan oversaw the stabilisation of the company and started to grow it. He led the acquisition of a larger Bradford-based company and merged the businesses on the new site in the early 2000s, when he stepped up to Managing Director. Jonathan continued to grow and develop the company, creating a new division of the business providing contract moulding services. A change of direction (and continent) took Jonathan to Australia where he ran another plastic moulding company with sites in Sydney and Brisbane.
The Manufacturers Alliance. Why? The development of people within a business has always been a passion for Jonathan. Allowing people to grow and lead a business at all levels makes good business sense. He has been in two different peer board groups as an MD and understands the power of this type of support group. The Manufacturers Alliance allows Jonathan to share his experience and bring together his passion for manufacturing and developing people to help Yorkshire manufacturers lead the way in their industry.
- Favourite leader: Kevin Sinfield, Former England Rugby League Captain
- Top Book: One Minute Manager- a short fairy story that demonstrates that great management needn’t take too much time.
- Top films: Blues Brothers; The Commitments; Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Likes: Leeds Rhinos Rugby League, mountain biking and travelling anywhere, installing ERP/MRP systems
- Dislikes: Anchovies, heights, people who always blame others
- Favourite quote: "Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved" - William Jennings Bryan